- Preheat oven to 160
- First to make the orange: Put 1 cup white sugar, the seeds of 1 vanilla pod and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan, stir over medium heat until dissolved. Then add thin orange slices – Use 2 oranges, disposing of the ends. Cook over a gentle heat for about 10-15 minutes until orange is softened (this is why very thin slices are best). Once, done, remove from heat.
- Line the cake tin and add the orange slices carefully so they are overlapping nicely. Juice goes in too.
- In a mixer, beat 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of castor sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla for about 10 minutes until the mix is pale and tripled in size..
- Stir in sifted 1 1/2 cup of SR flour, 1/2 cup almond meal, and 75 gms of melted butter.
- Pour the cake mix carefully over the oranges and bake for 35-40 minutes. You may need to cover with foil towards the end to stop it from drying out.