Basic Date Scones in 20 minutes
I have never met anyone that would say no to a scone straight out of the oven. The fact that they are so easy that even the most inexperienced cook can make them, makes this recipe even better.
A couple of ladies requested this recipe last week, so I thought I would put it up here. I know there are so many scone recipes out there, but these are scrumptious. Such a yummy treat to have with a cup of tea after a morning of gardening.
The great thing about adding dates/prunes/sultanas/or a mix of all, is that you then don't need to worry about jam and cream. They are sweet enough and are truly perfect with just a little butter.
I use wholemeal spelt flour because I find it's lighter on the belly and the flavour is great. You could use self raising flour instead of the below if that is all you have though.
When you have last minute guests dropping in or you actually really feel like scones, I recommend these. They are satisfying, light and guarantee to all be gone in one sitting.
Note: If you wanted savoury muffins instead, all you need to do is add 3/4 cup cheese and 1/4 cup herbs (parsley is great)
- 3 cups wholemeal spelt flour (use self-raising flour if you like but don't add the baking powder if you do)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pitted dates (or you can use a mix of fruit)
- 70g cubed CHILLED unsalted butter
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 1/2 cup cows milk or almond milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 220 C. Lightly dust a baking tray with flour and set aside.
2. Add flour and cubed butter to a large bowl. With your fingers rub flour into butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add salt, honey and dates.
3. Make a well in the centre. Add the milk and baking powder and mix with a butter knife until a soft dough forms.
4.Turn onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead and then roll to 3 cm thick.
5. Using a round cutter, cut each scone out and place on the tray.
6. Wash each scone with a little milk and place into oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Best eaten straight away-