Healthy Chicken Sausage Rolls - for adults and toddlers
As requested by Ange. xx
I whipped these up a couple of days ago because I was running low on freezable grab and gos for Albert. I love having a stash of healthy sweet or savoury snacks in the freezer. It makes it less stressful on days I simply don't have time to cook.
This is as easy and throwing it all in one bowl. I bought ready prepared puff pastry, but of course make your own if you have the time :)
I love how much awesome, nutrition you can pack into this recipe. Depending on what you have in the house and what is in season.
These were met with big smiles from Albert. As much as home made food takes time and effort, it is worth it. It's worth knowing exactly what we are feeding our families. Food has a direct reflection on moods, energy and how the body functions.
- 500 grams free range chicken mince
- 1 med leek finely, sliced
- 1 med carrot, grated
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1 med apple, grated (skin on)
- 2 free range eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mixed herbs (I used mint, oregano, basil and parsley)
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 cheddar cheese, grated
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 sheets of puff pastry, each of them sliced in half. (so you have 6)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked for brushing
- poppy seeds/sesame seeds/linseeds for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Take your pastry from the freezer and allow to thaw a little so pliable.
2. Add ingredients to a large bowl and mix well using a fork. Take a few minutes to do this.
3. Using a spoon, line a 1/2 inch sausage down the middle of each sheet of pastry to the very end.
4. Roll each sausage roll gently and allow to sit with tucked side under.
5. Cut into desired sizes with a serrated knife. Brush with egg and top with seeds of your choice.
6. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Turn onto a wire rack.
Freeze in air tight bags or containers for 2 months. (Ensure they are completely cool before freezing)
Refrigerate for no longer 3 days (they won't last that long anyway)