Crunchy Topped Yoghurt Pear Cake
This is one of the best cakes I have made in a long time. It came together so well and it was all put together by look and feel. No recipe book in sight. No old recipe to go from. Blank canvas. I have to say that I really had no idea how it would turn out .............but turn out it definitely did!
The quarter cup of brown sugar is used to sprinkle over the top of the cake. This makes the crunch. Double cream would do well with this cake.. but if you're like me it was just as perfect on it's own.
- 2 large VERY RIPE pears cut into 8 segments each (removing the core)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted quality butter
- 2 organic free range eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 cup full fat greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Cinnamon to sprinkle with just before putting into the oven
1. Start by greasing your cake tin with coconut oil (tsp will be enough for the sides) and lining the bottom with baking paper.
2. Set the oven to 200 C (fan forced) *****you are going to turn it down as soon as you place the cake in the oven
3. Beat the melted coconut oil, butter, eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon together until a rich creamy texture forms.
4. Fold in the flour and yoghurt. When this is mixed well, pour into your prepared cake tin.
5. Press every piece of pear down into the cake so the cake is covered. Some pieces may overlap but this is fine. Sprinkle the brown sugar and a little cinnamon (dependent on how much you like cinnamon) over the top of your cake ensuring it is done evenly.
6. Turn your oven down to 170 C and place the cake on the middle shelf. Bake for around 45 minutes.
-Keep in an airtight container for 3 days at room temperature.