Easy Chocolate Coconut Bar (AKA Bounty)
In my teens I became very fond of Bounty Bars. I don't know when I first tried one, it's a bit of a blur.. but funnily enough I had never been fond of coconut. This chocolatey bar of sugardom paradise changed that. In truth, it was mainly when I was hormonal (feeling fat, moody, oh teenagerhood was so crap!) that I would crave one ..
At 31, I still love them. And thankfully am not as hormonal as I once was. Though, I still get a little moody .... and I definitely still have days when I feel fat..!
These are just an easy recipe for a time poor mum. One that likes chocolate, wants to have the occasional treat.. and doesn't want a sugar come down afterwards.
- 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 cup coconut cream (use the rest of the cream in a curry :)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbs honey OR maple syrup OR brown rice syrup
1. Line a 9 x 9 inch square slice tin with cling wrap. Set aside.
2. Blitz Coconut Base ingredients in the food processor until it forms a dough. This may take a few minutes. Pour into the tin and press down so it is compact, especially in the corners. Place in freezer for one hour MINIMUM.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs almond butter
- Pinch salt
1. In a bowl, whisk the Chocolate Topping ingredients together until smooth.
2. Take the Coconut Base out of the freezer. Pour the chocolate over the slice, smoothing over so the coconut covered. Place your bounty bars back in the freezer for MINIMUM 45 minutes.
3. Slice into desired sizes and place in a airtight container in the freezer until ready to serve.
NOTE: You could cover the bars by dipping them in the chocolate. They may look more aesthetically appealing this way. I just chose not to because I thought a topping of chocolate was enough chocolate for us :)