Easy No Crap Crunchy Nut Bars
Here is a quick one. For those that do not want the crap that comes with store bought muesli bars BUT loOovERRes a muesli bar.. this is for you... and your lunch boxes.
I love a nutty sweet crunchy snack. Always have. I have infact been known to polish a ridiculous amount of muesli bars off in one sitting. I don't know if its the fact it takes me back to my childhood lunch box?? or my love of sweet things.. but I definitely know there is no "full" button on when I am enjoying a good muesli bar.
This recipe covers my guilty pleasures - I am not going to feel bad about having one..or two :) KEY IS TO CUT THEM INTO SMALLER SLICES MIKHAELA !!
- 3 cups mixed roughly chopped toasted nuts and seeds (I used a mix of macadamia, almonds, peanuts, cashews and sunflower seeds) ** see below
- 3/4 cup fine oat meal
- 3/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 tbs honey (optional)
- 2 tbs flaked almonds (lovely if toasted too)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
** TOASTING Nuts and Seeds: Spread your nuts and seeds even;y on a tray and bake in a 170 c oven for 8-12 minutes. Allow to cool completely before using in this recipe. (keep in mind the smaller nuts or seeds will toast faster than the larger ones) KEEP AN EYE ON THEM! xx
1. Pre heat oven to 170 c (fanforced - adjust your oven if it is electric)
2. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until sticky and well combined. Using wet fingers press the mixture into a lined 9 x 9 square slice tin.
3. Place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
4. Remove from the oven and leave to COOL completely before slicing with a sharp knife.
Store in a biscuit tin to retain crunch. I add a paper towel to the tin to absorb any moisture (I think it works !! :)