Moist Passionfruit Yoghurt Cake with Lemon Syrup
My mouth waters just thinking of passionfruit. Is it just me? I don't think so. This cake went so quickly over morning tea with friends that I only got a slither. Everyone obviously delighted. It was moist, light and free of refined sugar.
I used rice malt syrup instead and it worked really well. As there is a lemon syrup over the cake, it does not need as much sweetness in the cake itself either.
So here it is. So easy that a beginner baker will find great satisfaction and confidence in making this cake.
- Remember, if you have not cut refined sugar out of your diet, have just started to or even have no interest in making cakes less sweet, you can make this cake with a little more sugar than the recipe instructs. Sweetness is up to the individual..
Passionfruit Yoghurt Cake
- 4 free range eggs
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste (or 2 tsp essence)
- 1 cup full fat greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup passionfruit pulp (fresh is best)
- Rind of one med lemon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups white spelt flour
- Juice of whole med lemon
- 1/2 cup rice malt syrup
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Line a springform round cake tin with baking paper, lightly greasing any exposed edges with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, whisk coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla for a minute, then add the eggs and whisk well for another minute (I did this by hand but you could use a mixer)
3. Using a spatula fold in the rind, passionfruit pulp, yoghurt and baking powder and flour.
4. Once combined, pour into prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. Test middle of the cake with a skewer to be sure it is cooked It should be lightly golden on top and firm when pressed lightly.
5. To make the syrup, simply add the lemon juice and rice malt syrup to a small saucepan and stir on medium heat until combined.
6. Remove cake from the oven and with a skewer, poke 15 holes in the cake and pour syrup over the top. Remove sides to the springform tin and allow to cool before removing the base.
Serve with thickened cream, natural yoghurt or on its own..