Gooey Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownie (GF)
I got back from our family holiday with serious sweet cravings. The sort that have you in your pjamas driving to the store..to get a block of chocolate.. the kind of craving that nothing is going to stop you.. you.must.eat.sweet.food.
And that is a problem for me. I have made a big effort to cut refined sugar from my diet over the last 4 years. It has been difficult. Some days harder than others and getting through the first 3 months was the toughest part.
I was not going to give in now after feeling freaking incredible for the last 3.5 years!!
So, our holiday.. it was amazing. I did indulge in things that I would not usually eat whilst sunning it up in Bali. One thing I definitly enjoyed were these mini chocolate eclairs. Made by a lovely french chef..they were DIVINE!!! But of course, coming back to reality.. I go back to moderation .. and I certainly don't have a personal french chef making me chocolate eclairs here!!
So .... instead of getting in the car I baked myself something gooey and chocolately.. It was so good that I baked it again a week later and now that brings me here.. because I must share it.
My thought process goes like this....
At least if I make it and bake it I know what I am eating... and this is definitely a healthy version of what I was eating 4 years ago!
For this recipe I used coconut flour. I'm using this a lot more lately. It tastes good. It gives what I bake a lovely texture. It's GF so my belly does not react. Many wins. One thing to remember with coconut flour though, is that it absorbs A LOT of moisture.. so this is why I added water to the recipe. If you don't, it will be too dry. It's also great to leave the flour to absorb for 5 minutes before you put it in the oven..
I hope this deliciousness puts a big smile on your face xx
Let me know what you think xx
- 3 med over ripe bananas
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or 2 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 4 medjool dates (pitted)
- 3/4 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter (I use 100% peanut butter..no added sugar or salt)
- 1/4 cup honey (or stevia/maple syrup) -adjusting quantity to your sweet levels
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 50 grams dark chocolate
1. Set oven to 190 C. (I have fan forced so adjust yours if you have electric)
2. Line a 9x9 square tin with baking paper and rub edges with some cocout oil.
3. Place the bananas, eggs, vanilla paste, oil in the food processor. Blend together until it forms a batter. Add the peanut butter and blend well.
4. Pulse through the rest of the ingredients until combined.
5. Pour into the prepared tin.
6. (This part if optional) Heat the Topping ingredients in a saucepan on med heat and stir until combined. Pour over the brownie batter and gently spread with the back of a spoon.
7. Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Check it is ready with a skewer throught the middle.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes and turn out onto wire rack.
Serve warm or at room temp. With or without ice-cream or cream...