Raw Zesty Lemon Slice (Vegan, GF)
Zesty Lemon. Just saying those words out loud makes my mouth water.
Lemons are in abundance on our tree.. FINALLY.
So I did what was right and made something deliciously lemony. They went down a treat. The entire family thought they were delish and so did some lucky visitors (who get to taste test many experiments) ... this one of the good ones :)
Another idea... if you want something different, you could make this slice with mandarins? Oranges? Limes?
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup pitted medjool dates
- 2 cups cashews (soaked for at least 3 hours)
- 1 cup dessicated coconut
- 1 can of organic coconut cream, 400ml ***Place tin in the fridge for at least 2 hours for liquid to separate from the cream. Spoon cream out for this recipe)
- Juice of 2 lemons (leave some zest aside for grating over the top)
- 10 drops natural edible lemon oil (optional) - I love mine very lemony!
- 2 tbs granulated stevia OR honey/maple syrup (optional - and adjust to your sweet taste)
- 2 tbs melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced, pips removed
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup honey
Grate one lemon over the slice - EASY and looks great.
1. Line a slice tray (I used 22 x 32cm ) with baking paper, leaving some overhanging the edges of the pan, so its easy to remove the slice
2. Place all base ingredients in the blender until sticky and combined. Press into the base of the tin. Place in the fridge.
3. Add all Top layer ingredients in the food processor. Blend well until smooth. This may take a while. Be patient!
4. Pour over the base layer. Smooth over with a butter knife. Place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour before slicing.
5. To make the candied lemons.. Slice the Lemons in thin rounds (5mm) trying to keep them round.
6. Set cook top to low heat and place 1 &1/2 cups water in a saucepan. Add the lemon slices and cook for 30 minutes. Empty water from saucepan and place lemon slices gently in a bowl.
7. Add the honey and 1/2 cup water to the saucepan. Turn to medium heat and add the lemon slices. Cook for around 15 minutes or until the slices are translucent. Turn heat off and using tongs, place the lemon slice gently on a piece of baking paper to cool.
8. Decorate slice as you wish.
*Keep in the fridge for 5 days or freeze for a frozen lemon bar for up to 2 months.