Alberts Nut Free Muesli Bars
FOR JAKE :)
These have become a favourite of Alberts. They are crunchy, sweet and have none of the store bought rubbish in them. Best of all they're super easy to make.
With many children suffering from nut allergies, I thought it appropriate to come up with a delicious lunch box snack that is nut free. And delicious!
I used pop corn because what child does not like pop corn! If you don't make your own, then plain salted store bought ones are great. Alternatively you could double the quantity of the puffed corn OR you could use rice puffs or corn flakes. You could also add choc chips instead of fruit. So many choices!
We went through our first batch in 24 hours. DELICIOUS!
Add to large bowl
2 tbs sesame seeds
1 cup puffed corn (substitutes include puffed rice, millet, quinoa flakes etc)
1 1/2 cups toasted rolled oats (toasted in oven at 180 for 8 minutes)
pinch quality salt
1/4 cup chia seeds
3/4 cup pepitas (toast these in the oven with the oats if you want - YUM)
1 cup plain pop corn (or more puffed corn, corn flakes, rice puffs, pretzels etc)
1/3 cup finely chopped dried fruit (eg. cranberries, sultanas, raisins, apricots, dates)
To melt in medium saucepan:
70g quality unsalted butter
1 cup honey OR maple syrup OR rice malt syrup
3/4 cup rapadura sugar OR coconut sugar
1. Set oven to 180 c (fan forced) and line a large slice tin (I used a 33cm x 24cm rectangle tin) with baking paper.
2. Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix well.
3. Add butter to a small saucepan. Once melted, add the sugar and honey stirring constantly. Once it is bubbling for about 10 seconds (should look like toffee) turn off heat. Working quickly>>>
4. Pour evenly into dry ingredients mixing quickly with a spatula. Ensure everything is touched by the toffee. This may take a minute. ** It will not stick together if you do not mix enough)
5. Pour into lined tray and press down hard with a sheet of baking paper.. this will compact it to ensure it sticks together.
6. Place in the pre heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Or until lightly golden.
7. Allow to cool. Then, when still a little warm, remove from tin and slice with a wet sharp knife.
*Keeps well at room temp or in the refrigerator or freezer in an air tight container.
Enjoy - Mikhaela x