Orange Syrup Cake (No refined sugar, Gluten Free)
- 2 whole oranges
- 140 grams quality butter, melted
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 - 1 cup (depending on your sweet tooth) quality pure maple syrup OR quality honey OR rice malt syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Self Raising flour (Gluten Free if you choose)
- 1 Tbs honey
1. Pre heat oven to 180 c. Line a 9 inch round cake tin with baking paper and lightly grease with butter.
2. Place one orange in a saucepan, cover with water and cook on low heat for 45 mins - 1 hour. Drain the water.
3. Place butter and eggs into a food processor and blend for one minute. Add the maple syrup and pulse through. Add the whole orange, removing any pips, and blend until smooth.
4. Fold in the gluten free flour.
5. Optional- Slice remaining orange in half. With one half, slice into 2cm thick rounds. And then in half (depending how you want the decoration to look - see example photo above) Place your slices as you like on the bottom of the cake tin.
6. With the other orange half, squeeze and pour juice into a small saucepan. Add the honey, Stir on low heat until honey is melted.
7. Pour cake batter over the top of the orange slices. Place in the oven for 40 minutes. Test with a cake skewer to ensure it is cooked through.
8. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a cake rack.
9. Drizzle the syrup over cake.