Nut free Chocolate Coconut Hemp Bars
After reading some wonderful articles on the benefits of hemp in baking, I decided to put it to the test. The texture and flavour surprised me. It is nutty without the nuts and satisfying. Numerous health benefits too.
A few include, range of antioxidants, iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium.
The great news is that if you do not have hemp flour at home, you can substitute it with almond meal, ground seeds (if you are avoiding nuts) or even oats.
I really like these bars. They are a perfect alternative to store bought protein bars. Super easy to throw together. And you can get that delicious chocolate hit with an array of health benefits.
Makes 30 squares } Prep time 5 minutes
- 2 free range eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 cups pitted dates, soaked in boiling water with 1 tsp bicarbonate soda. Leave for 10 minutes and drain.
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1 cup Hemp flour (sub for almond meal OR LSA OR ground almonds OR oats)
- 3/4 cup raw unsweetened Cacao powder
- 2 Tbs Stevia or your choice of sweetener (adjust to your sweet tooth)
1. Pre heat oven to 170 (fanforced) and line a slice tray with baking paper. Grease any gaps with coconut oil.
2. Place the eggs, sweetener, oil and dates in the food processor and blend until smooth paste.
3. Add all other ingredients. Pulse food processor firstly to combine. Then process for a minute to ensure it is combined well. (push down the sides with a spatula if you need to uring this process)
4. Pour into prepared tin and smooth over with the back of a wet spoon (to prevent sticking)
5. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Or until firm and skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool completely on wire rack before adding ganache.
To make ganache
1. Melt chocolate in a saucepan (med heat) Take off heat
2. Slowly whisk in cream until silky smooth
3. Spread over slice with a butter knife or spatula. Allow to set in the refridgerator for 20 minutes before cutting into squares.
*Store in an airtight container in the freezer (they take 3 minutes to defrost) for up to 1 month or fridge for 1 week.